Monday, October 13, 2014

Teen Read Week: Oct. 12-18

It's Teen Read Week!

From the Teen Read Week site:
Teen Read Week™ is a national adolescent literacy initiative created by the Young Adult Library Services Association (YALSA). It began in 1998 and is held annually during the third week of October. Its purpose is to encourage teens to be regular readers and library users.
In honor of Teen Read week, I'm going to show case a book a day that I really enjoyed reading when I was a teen (as if it was that long ago).

Because today is the 13th, I'll post two books that I think you should read if you haven't already!

October 12, 2014:





Alanna
the First Adventure
by
Tamora Pierce
 
Originally Released: 1983
Read: 2006/2007


 



This is my all time favorite book/series. I actually stumbled upon this book when I was in middle school, pulling it out at random from the shelves. It was destiny. I loved this book immediately upon first read, devoured it. I read the library copy so many times before I bought my own. The cover on the right is the version I had, while the cover on the left is the version that is supposed to be out now.

The first of four books, this is more than you're average growing up story. I loved them and I love the rest of the spin-off series that Tamora Pierce wrote in this universe. Click here for a book summary.

Suggested for readers who enjoy the following genres: Fantasy, Magic, Strong Female Characters, Female Warriors, Adventure, YA

October 13, 2014:





Maximum Ride: The Angel Experiment
by 
James PattersonOriginally Released: 2005
Read: 2008




 
This was a though one to decide on. I really enjoyed the Maximum Ride series, but only up to book 3. I mean the ones after that were still a hit with other readers, but personally, the series should have stopped after the third one.

It's still really good and I definitely suggested clicking here to get a summary of the book for more details. But I spent a lot of time reading and re-reading the first book and even tried to make some wings to be Maximum Ride for Halloween one year (yeah that didn't really work out...) and I always suggested it to anyone who needed a book to read.

Suggested for readers who enjoy this genre: Science Fiction, Action, Mystery, "Urban" Fantasy, Female Protagonist, YA, Strong Female Character

No comments:

Post a Comment