Friday, October 17, 2014

Teen Read Week: October 17, 2014

It's Teen Read Week!

From the Teen Read Week site:
Teen Read Week™ is a national adolescent literacy initiative created by the Young Adult Library Services Association (YALSA). It began in 1998 and is held annually during the third week of October. Its purpose is to encourage teens to be regular readers and library users.
In honor of Teen Read week, I'm going to show case a book a day that I really enjoyed reading when I was a teen (as if it was that long ago).

I also realized that I should probably be attaching reviews to these books, but honestly some of these I've read so long ago that it's hazy. And I probably already wrote a review for them then, so I really don't want to write another one. What I can do is direct you to places where I've written reviews, such as Book Away and my Goodreads account.

Today's book is:
 

Warrior Girl by Pauline Chandler has been one of the best Joan of Arc books have I have read. And the thing is, it still tells the story of Joan without Joan being the main character! I love it! But it's so hard to find in print these days, at least I've had some difficulty finding this book new. 

For those of you who don't know who Joan of Arc is, let me tell you. Joan of Arc is a young French maiden who single handedly lead an army of Frenchmen into war, and made sure that Charles was crowned King, all while France was being taken over by the English. Sounds cool right? Well Joan claims to hear God's voice, and that the Angels of God tell her what to do, which is why she's a more Catholic figure while being depicted as a schizophrenic in the texts books. Whatever you believe, Joan of Arc is an amazing character/person. And you can read more about her in the summary of this book.

Suggested for: historical fiction, female protagonist, war, adventure, France, Joan of Arc
 

No comments:

Post a Comment